Friday, June 27, 2008

March 2007 Feature of the Month - Chicoro

(1) What is your hair care regimen?
My hair is natural and I press it occasionally for straight styles. My regimen consists of deep conditioning, moisturizing, low manipulation, protective styling and low heat usage.

I apply a mixture of aloe vera liquid (or liquid gel) mixed with black castor oil, olive oil and essential oils to my dry hair and place a plastic bag on my head for about 15 minutes to 2 hours (deep conditioning). I section the hair and finger comb it and put it into loose braids. Then I wash my hair in those braids to minimize tangles (low manipulation). I place about two capfuls of shampoo into three cups of hot water and dilute that and spread the soapy water evenly over my braids and hair. I rinse my hair and use a cholesterol type conditioner mixed with olive oil and put that on my braids (deep conditioning). I unloosen each braid and comb it through with the conditioner still on it. Then I re-braid the section of hair and repeat until all my hair is combed out and loosely re-braided. I rinse out the conditioner from my braided hair. I unloosen the braids for a final rinse. I place some more of my aloe vera/castor oil/essential oils mixture on my freshly washed, detangled, loose, wet hair (sealing in moisture). I add a bit of curl activator and spray the hair to be braided with my conditioner concoction (cheap conditioner, curl activator, water, Infusium, essential oils, olive oil), slather the last 3-6 inches of hair with vaseline, braid it and put on a baggie (sealing in moisture and protective styling).

Every six weeks to three months, I use Aphogee hard protein with heat in my hair.

If I am wearing my hair straightened, I clarify my hair with water mixed with apple cider vinegar and don't add any product to my hair a couple of days before I get it done. I then have my stylist wash and straighten my hair. I bring in a tube of Vitapoint and have her put on a dime size dab in my wet hair to protect against heat prior to her blowing it dry and pressing it.

(2) Do you take any supplements? If so, what are they? No supplements.


(3) Currently, how long is your hair and what is your hair type?
My hair hangs thick and full past my natural waist. I do not use hair typing.

(4) What are the things that you feel have helped you the most in achieving and maintaining your hair length?

  • Taking responsibility for and control of the health of my hair.
  • Setting goals for my hair and writing them down.
  • Documenting my progress with photos.
  • Believing that I could reach my goals.
  • Being on LHCF and perusing the various hair albums.
  • Finding a process/regimen for my hair and sticking with the regimen.

1 comment:

Godslillamb said...
This comment has been removed by the author.