Friday, June 27, 2008

December 2006 Feature of the Month- BlackBarbie


(1)What is your hair care regimen?
I have a different routine depending on the time of the year. During the summer months, I co-wash every other day with some type of Suave or V05 conditioner and use Rusk Smoother, Mane and Tail conditioner and Infusium 23 as leave ins. I let air dry in a bun and moisturize the bun nightly with NTM Silk Touch and seal in with WGO. I shampoo and deep condition weekly. During the winter months, I shampoo once a week with Crème of Nature and deep condition with a mixture of a cheapie conditioner, a store brand deep conditioner (using Silk Elements right now) and olive oil.

After shampooing, I normally use Rusk Smoother and Infusium 23 as leave-ins to rollerset. I have just started using Lacio Lacio and I am in love! I think I will be using it more often from now because it does not weigh my hair down and it still feels moisturized. It usually takes me about 1.5 hours to dry under my soft bonnet Ion dryer and then I remove the rollers, wrap hair back up with saran wrap or either a satin scarf and sit back under the dryer for another 20 minutes. I moisturize daily with NTM Silk Touch and wrap nightly. I do protein treatments (Aphogee) every 6 or 7 weeks and I highlight once a year. My longest stretch has been 6 months, but I think I will probably go a maximum of 4 months from now on.

(2)Do you take any supplements? If so, what are they?
I don't take any supplements currently, but on occasion, I do consume at least one protein shake a day to replace one of my meals.

(3)Currently, how long is your hair and what is your hair type?
I am not exactly sure how long my hair is in total inches, but it is about a couple of inches past my bra strap and I think it is 3c.

(4)What are the things that you feel have helped you the most in achieving and maintaining your hair length?
*Moisture, Moisture, Moisture – Because my hair is so fine, I was always afraid of putting extra product on it b/c it would weigh it down. When I first got the highlights, I wasn't told how important moisture was for my hair and I initially got a lot of shedding. Since coming to the board and learning what I know about moisture and keeping my hair hydrated, my hair has been better because it.
*No direct heat and low manipulation - I rollerset weekly and sit under a dryer. I also wrap my hair nightly and sleep in a satin scarf or bonnet. I am probably exposed to direct heat no more than 2-3 times a year. (and that is only to let my stylist check my length)
*Nutrition“ I eat about 6-7 small meals per day that are nutritionally balanced. (carbs, protein, good fats) I eat a lot of fresh fruits and vegetables, drink a minimum of 64 ounces of water daily, stay away from processed foods, don't drink sodas and I stay away from sweets and a lot of sugary foods. I also work out 3-4 times per week.

No comments: