Friday, June 27, 2008

2006 November Feature of the Month- Lala



1) What is your hair care regimen?

Relaxer: Design Essentials

Shampoo: Design Essentials
Conditioner: Design Essentials Stimulating Conditioner

Products: NOW Jojoba Oil, Sabino's Moisture Block, and Aveda Beautifying Oil (used occasionally during scalp massage)

Retouch: Every 8-10 weeks on average. I have stretched before, but my hair tends to shed less when I stick with my usual schedule. However, I will relax within 6 weeks if I am attending a special event.

Salon visits: I schedule an appointment every 2 weeks for shampoo/condition/wrap or roller set. If I am in a hurry the length is dried under a hooded dryer, and then flat ironed with a Chi with the ends slightly bumped.

Trims: My hair is trimmed at each retouch. Trimming my ends has not impacted the length of my hair at all. Severely split ends are not appealing and will not result in healthy hair. I made a decision to cut my hair in 2003 to shoulder length because my ends were see-through and split due to blow dryer abuse. As you can see from the pictures in my fotki, I achieved waist length hair in just two years following the haircut.

Styles: Ponytail, Bun, or I just let it hang loose. I don't do protective styles; my hair is usually worn down.

At home maintenance: My hair has required more care because of the dry climate here in Las Vegas. I have also been working out, so I sometimes shampoo and condition my hair between salon visits. I am no stylist and iit s not easy to manage my hair due to the length. When it is not convenient to go the salon, I use Design Essentials Organic Cleanse Deep Cleansing Shampoo, followed by the Moisture Retention Conditioning Shampoo. I then use a very generous amount of the Stimulations Super Moisturizing Conditioner which puts the moisture back into my hair. I comb through with a wide-toothed comb and rinse thoroughly. I add jojoba oil and Moisture Block to my hair while wet and dry under a hooded dryer. I occasionally visit the Aveda Institute and request the Damage Remedy Scalp Renewal Treatment which adds moisture and strengthens the hair as well.

(2) Do you take any supplements? If so, what are they?
No, I do not take any hair vitamins or supplements.

(3) Currently, how long is your hair and what is your hair type?
My hair is waist length. My hair is relaxed and I believe that my hair type is 4A.

(4) What are the things that you feel have helped you the most in achieving and maintaining your hair length?

Things I do:
At night, I comb my hair back, and twist the length into a ponytail shape, and pin my hair along the front of my hairline with two hair pins. It helps to straighten the hair out and I often don't need to flatiron it. I faithfully cover my hair with a satin scarf every night. I apply jojoba oil to my hair daily. I use my ceramic CHI Turbo flat iron to touch up areas that need a boost; I don't flat iron every strand. I occasionally use my Caruso Rollers when I want a curly style.

Things I don't do:
Conditioner washes, braids, weaves, labor-intensive styling. I don't use gels, blow-dryers, curling irons, or hair sprays. I don't self relax. I don't believe in layering tons and tons of products. I don't use hair potions or ingest hair vitamins.

My hair regimen philosophy is: The The simpler the better! My hair is very predictable, because I follow my regimen without fail. Layering product upon product is not going to grow your hair or increase its health. I do believe that any one of us can grow our hair long, but you have to incorporate a regimen that will allow you to keep your length. You have to figure out what works for you and stick with it. In the end, you will find that your tresses will blossom and your results will be typical --- no surprises.

No comments: